Thursday, October 23, 2014

Missouri: Branson, Independence, and St. Louis

So, until recently, the only time I had heard about Branson, Missouri was the mention of it in movies. I had no idea what this place was even about or the appeal. Now I understand. In terms of productions and entertainment, Branson is the New York City and Las Vegas of the Midwest. Their "Strip" has over a hundred venues of music, performances, etc. I went and saw the Titanic Museum, Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede, and the production of Jonah. All were so fascinating in different ways. Jonah was absolutely incredible. The production was as good, if not better, than plays I've seen in LA and NYC.
 Dixie Stampede - Amazing horse show!
 

 The production of Jonah was my highlight of Branson.
 


 
 
On my weekend off, I decided to head up to Independence to see some church history. It was great to see and really reminded me and touched me how much the pioneers and early members suffered so much and yet remained so strong and faithful.
 

 
 
The next morning I had to drive through incredible thick fog on my way to Hannibal to see the boyhood home of Mark Twain or Samuel Clemens. We are currently reading Tom Sawyer, the condensed version, and it was amazing to see how much of Mark Twain's life was used in his books. I loved everything I saw about Mark Twain and how he grew up along side the great Mississippi River.
This picture was taken when I could finally see more than 20 feet in front of me. Otherwise, I was gripping the steering wheel pretty tightly.

 
White washing the fence - just like Tom Sawyer did, before he tricked his way out of doing work.

Tow Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn - Two great characters


Norman Rockwell picture; great scene from Tom Sawyer having to take Caster Oil.
 
 
Next, I headed on over to St. Louis to see the Gateway Arch and to take a paddleboat ride on the Mississippi River. I really wanted to see the Gateway Arch for a couple of reasons. First, it is very symbolic for the expansion of the west, or the Gateway to the west, where Lewis and Clark started their expedition. Second, I wanted to see the location that Percy Jackson visits and is attacked by a monster and must jump out from the top of the monument. Wasn't quite what I expected, but the Archway was still very interesting to visit.
 

This is an old tiny pod / elevator that takes you up the Archway. You fit 5 people in there. UGHH!!

The Fall colors in St. Louis, and at the Archway were beautiful. We saw some fall color in Colorado, but this was spectacular.

 
Since I drove 800 miles in two days, I am sure glad gas was only $2.85 per galloon. When was the last time we saw that price back home? 15 years ago? 10 years ago? SHEESH!
 




 



2 comments: